Friday, August 3, 2012

What I Have Learned

As I pack my car for yet another race, I can't help but to think about what I have learned in the past year and a half of racing. It seems so crazy that I have only been racing for a year and a half... it feels like much, much longer than that. My first REAL race was October 2010... Richmond Sprint Triathlon, and my first Olympic distance was April 2011. 
Collegiate Nationals- First Olympic Race-April 2011
What I have learned about racing/how to combat race nerves: 
1. Always pack the car the night before. Regardless of what time I have to leave in the morning, packing the car with my bike and transition bag the night before relieves SO much stress. Hint: make sure you lock the car! 
2. Prepare my bike that morning. I like to ride my bike as soon as I wake up to make sure everything is working properly, clean my bike, and check wheels, especially if I am using race wheels. And if anything is terribly wrong, I can take it over to the bike shop to get things in working order.
3. Bring a spare of everything. I bring spare goggle, spare cap, spare nutrition, an extra water bottle, an extra tri suit, extra clothes, extra wheels (if I have race wheels), 2 race belts, 2 chip straps, 2 transition towels. I don't know why I do this, but I guess it just makes me feel more comfortable that if I need something, its there. Its also nice to be able to let someone borrow something if they need it. I have had so many people borrow one of my race belts. What comes around goes around people. The only thing I haven't thought to bring a spare of is shoes... something to think about. 
4. Be vague. Don't get me wrong, I have plenty of goals... and some of those goals are very far fetched, but definitely within reach. However, when people ask me about my goal for a specific race, I don't like to talk about it. Of course I want to win!! DUH! Isn't that what racing is about... but when people ask, I often shrug my shoulders and say do my best. That's all I can do. I have no idea how my body is going to behave for the race, I just know to push and make it hurt. If it doesn't hurt, it's not worth it. No matter if I win or lose, I just want to feel good when I finish. 
5. Set mini goals. Going into a race trying to tackle mini goals is so much less intimidating than trying to set one goal for the whole race. I try to focus on each piece of the race. For example, find feet for the swim, get shoes on fast in T1, power hills on bike, remember nutrition in T2, stay calm for the run. I try to think about each part just before it happens. When I think about the small chunks, I am much less overwhelmed than trying to do everything at once. 
6. Have fun. Pretty self explanatory... in the grand scheme of things, it is JUST A RACE. Of course we all want to do our best, but it is so important to have fun and be safe!
7. Have cell phone in transition bag. I have found it most helpful to keep my phone in my transition bag, that way I can get ahold of my race sherpa (typically my parents), if I even have one. And text Connie as soon as the race is finished. I want to remember every detail of the race, and exactly how I am feeling as soon as I finish. My emotions are usually running wild at this point. I want to learn as much as I can, and I know I will just forget some things as the day progresses.

And there ya have it, a few things I like to do before any race, big or small. And off to bed I go...

No comments:

Post a Comment