Sunday, August 19, 2012

Nationals- Part 2

FINALLY ALMOST HOME!!! 


Last night we stopped in Morristown, NJ for some dinner.  The town was bumpin'! I guess there was a concert or something. Just as we were going to turn around and get back on the highway and find something else to eat on the road, we found a parking spot right outside the Japanese restaurant we had our eyes on. That’s good, clean livin’ as my dad would say!! Mom and I split a Spicy Tuna Roll to start and it was definitely one of the best rolls I have ever had. We each got teriyaki chicken and vegetables for dinner. Unfortunately our server was pretty rude. Otherwise it was awesome!

We stopped off in Wilmington, DE last night to spend the night. We had planned on driving right on through to Richmond, but we wouldn’t have gotten home until almost 4am! The hotel we stayed at was actually right near the hospital where I was born. Wilmington was so much fun. We went to my mom’s favorite little Italian bakery, Serpe’s, to get Italian cookies… and then half a sheet of pizza… and then some cannolis! They also had brownie samples…. I had three :) NOM NOM NOM. We got a suggestion to try Crossroads Café for breakfast. It wasn’t Penny Cluse (more on this below!), but it was a solid breakfast. THEN we had to go to our sub place, Capriotti’s to get subs to bring home to the family.

And the cutest bottle of ketchup I've ever seen...
just turn your head. I can't figure out how to rotate. 

So Friday morning, we slept in just a little bit. Last time I slept in before a race was Culpepper and I couldn’t fall asleep until well after midnight. We ended up going to get some breakfast at Penny Cluse Café in Burlington. OH. MY. GOSH. It was so, so, so good. I didn’t want to eat anything out of the ordinary the day before the race, so I opted for a fruit plate, homemade turkey sausage, and a hot granola. There are no words to describe either. The turkey sausage was amazing, I have never had anything to compare. And the granola…. My goodness… The granola had Vermont maple syrup, butter, oats, pecans, almonds, and raisins. It tasted like Christmas in a bowl. I may or may not have bought a pound bag on the way out… My goal this week is to get myself packed for college recreate the granola..
I dug into the sausage as soon as it hit the table!! 
And the delicious granola! My mouth is watering just looking at it! 

Next, we walked around Church Street for a little bit. It’s a pedestrian street with shops and restaurants. There is also a mall…. I finally got the right size dress from the Loft… it was only 12 dolla!  Then it was time to get a full view of the run course by bike. My mom tried to follow me, but got lost? It was a short 30 minute spin out and felt really good. This is about the time I gained confidence for the run. We then drove down to the beach so I could test the waters. Mom got tons of pictures of this, like I said… photo shoot. I was pleasantly surprised when the water was totally comfortable and actually a little bit warm. I considered not wearing my wetsuit for the race, but ultimately decided that I should.

Post swim photo shoot

Side note: I actually was a bit hesitant to get in the water. Last time I tested the water before a race was at Collegiate Nationals in 2011 and the water was 62 degrees! I seriously almost backed out of the race after trying the water… it was so COLD. But really I was just so nervous for my first OLY distance.

Next order of business after was to head to the Sheraton to get a new wristband and double check my brakes! They were SO squeaky, but apparently they were just fine.
We headed back to our hotel to shower up and clean Trevor. We went back down to transition to put my bike up (turns out I seriously had the best spot for my bike!), have another photo shoot, and then get some dinner. 

I wish I actually finished like this. 

Trevor all protected from the rain... in our awesome
"end of rack" spot 

Mother and me
We got a recommendation for Sweetwater on Church St. It was very good AND they had a gluten free menu! COURTNEY FTW. There was about a 20-minute wait so we sat at the bar and had drinks, I opted for a lovely water on the rocks. We started with sweet potato fries and I ended up getting a salad, grilled chicken with Vermont cheddar on a gluten free roll, and Vermont cheddar mashed potatoes. Mom and Sue got a Vermont Maple Crème Brulee (that I sampled) and I got a small kids vanilla ice cream sundae with chocolate sauce and some whipped cream. 

Dinner... the lighting was off but still delicious 

At this point it was time to go home, get tattooed up, shave, and hit the sack! We had a very important 5:30 AM wake up call!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment