Monday, July 9, 2012

Goals?

As I sit at work today, with little to do, I am thinking about what being a triathlete really means to me. I know I love this sport, I know I am passionate, but what do I hope to gain from it? I have recently been asked what my goals are in life, related to triathlon or just in general. And that's when I realize, I have no idea how to answer.

I commonly answer, "Oh, I don't know, just win races, not get hurt, and maybe be Pro. But I do want to be a mom and stuff and have a family. I guess see where life takes me." But these recent "goal" questions don't deserve an answer like that. They deserve something with more substance and it really challenged me. I know I am only 19 years old, I am young, I have another 70+ years ahead of me (I hope), but I should have some sort of solid goal, what I want to do. I have narrowed down some things that I hope to accomplish.

1. I want to continue to race triathlon for the remainder of my life. It is what makes me happy. After having to take last week easy because of my knee, I realized that I am happy when I am just focusing on swim, bike, run. Of course there are many more things I love about my life and that do make me happy, but I realized how important training is to me. It gives me time to just think, get in touch with myself, and spend time with nature and with God.

2.Qualify for worlds- I would be so honored to qualify for worlds in 2013. However, at this point in my life, I will not have the money to get myself to worlds (sponsorship plug?!). So I will then change my focus to...


3. Nailing nutrition and base miles in the winter- I lost out on the opportunity to really gain some quality base miles this winter due to my stress fracture. Of course I was able to swim, but I really want to focus on getting some good bike and run miles in. During the winter of 2010 when I was a freshman, I ran whenever I wanted and however much I wanted. I saw outstanding run times the following spring, but my bike was not quite where it could have been, although I had only gotten my first bike in late November. And this past winter in 2011, I was only able to bike and swim because of the fracture. So this season I am throwing down great bike splits, but my run fitness is a little low. So this winter, get my bike AND run up there. Not one or the other. 

4. Place at Collegiate Nationals- I am confident that I can place at least top 10 at Nationals in the Olympic distance race and possibly even top 3. 

5. Race a 5150 race as Elite Amateur. There will be awesome competition at this race and I can see where I stack up to even some of the pros.So, there it is, my current triathlon related goals. Who knows what will change, if anything will change. But for right now, This is what I would like to see within the next year or so. Anything can happen, anything is possible. I just have to remember to be positive, train smart, and give the glory to God.

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11  

No comments:

Post a Comment