Thursday, December 20, 2012

Focusing on the Bad

I am good at a lot of things. I'm pretty good at math, taking care of kids, baking, making milkshakes, scrambling eggs, brewing strong coffee, coloring inside the lines, and online shopping.

Honestly, I could come up with a list in my head of all the things that I *think* I am good at. But there are SO many things I am bad at, really bad at. Most of the time, I try to ignore these things because let's be honest, it doesn't make you feel great when you admit to yourself that you can't do something or you don't do it well. Despite these negative feelings, it is quite necessary to face them in order to grow. Now that I really can't run (okay fine it has only been a week and I will probably be running in another 2...), this has been a great time to focus on the things I am not so great at.

 In no particular order:

1. My pull is WEAK SAUCE in the pool. Like seriously. I have always been a kick dominant swimmer. After my freshman year in high school, my coach came up to my mom and says, "It's a good think Courtney has a great kick, otherwise she would go nowhere in the water." That is why she suggested I try rowing, so I could build up some of that arm and back strength. Wouldn't you know that after my first season of rowing, I made State is swimming the following season. Since it is the off season, I have been doing some strength exercises to help build up some of that muscle. But even more importantly, I have needed to fix my stroke in the pool, especially the "catch" and "finish". My elbow tends to drop before I pull and I take my arm out of the water super early, thus a very short stroke. Since I am trying not to irritate my hip flexor, I have been sticking straight to pulling with and without paddles and maintaining high elbows and finishing strong. I hope that if I do it enough, it will transfer back over to my swim when I start putting in hard efforts in the water come January/February.

2. I am not a good bike mechanic. At all. I know that and do my best to avoid anything that may require me to tinker with my bike. I am so afraid I am going to break it or do something wrong and then die.. okay that was a little dramatic. Now that I have these new wheels and plan to use them for races, I have to learn how to do simple things like replacing brake pads and switching the cassette between wheels. Very basic, I know. I have been shown how to do it multiple times, so I attempted last night. Things started a little shaky: I got the screw off of the left shoe easily, then I tried to pull the cartridge out. Could not figure out why on earth it wasn't budging. Turns out, I had switched positions and I was trying to force the right one out with the screw still on. *BOP should've had a V8.* After that mishap, everything was going well until I tried to remove the cassette... then this happened.... tragic.

BLOOD!
After the small injury, everything went smoothly. Until I tried to work on the rear brakes. I literally had every.size. Allen wrench, EXCEPT for the one I needed. I needed the teeniest, tiniest one they make. So now, my bike is laying on my garage floor, since ya know, I don't have a bike stand. But don't worry, I have it on an old comforter component side up. I think we will be okay. This morning I went to work and I FOUND A WHOLE ALLEN WRENCH SET WITH THE SIZE I NEED. So it is on my desk to take home. Score. This grease monkey (as my Dad calls me) will be back in Courtney's Garage Bike shop tonight. I think I will have the confidence with a little more practice!

3. Strengthening and stretching. I hate it. Usually when I get back from a workout, I am pretty strapped for time and need to get going, so I rarely take the time to get a good stretch in or do a core workout. Since I have been dealing with this hip thing, I realize that it is really important to take that time. I got this strain from my lacking glute and hamstring strength in addition to my tight hip flexors. All I need is 5 minutes for a quick stretch when I am strapped for time. As for core, I have a new goal, wake up 15-20 minutes earlier and do a small core workout: bridge, planks, pushups, whatever.

4. Buying good, creative [Christmas] presents. I think I overcame that issue yesterday though. I came up with some darn good ideas and ordered them! Thank goodness they will be here the 24th! Procrastination at its finest.

5. Reading the Bible. I really don't do this enough or as often as I should. I am working on it though. No worries.

And that is my "Top Five Things I Am Bad At" list.  Hopefully I can continue to improve and embrace my challenges to become the best athlete and Christian possible.

Plus this hilarious picture I saw on Twitter last night...






















And this one which is a little more serious and less hilarious:
Matthew 24:35-45





















No comments:

Post a Comment